Our Mission & Vision.
Transforming pulp and paper manufacturing through collaborative research
Promoting Collaborative R&D
The Alliance for Pulp and Paper Technology Innovation, a non-profit organization, exists to identify high priority, pre-competitive technology challenges for the pulp and paper industry related to achieving the vision, and to promote scientific research and development projects to address them. APPTI’s role is to advance realization of this vision through
Advancing Manufacturing Technologies
APPTI's mission is to further identify and develop advanced manufacturing technologies for the U.S. Pulp & Paper Industry. What if the industry could:
- ...reduce purchased energy by 50%, saving over 500 TBtu per year?
- ...reduce water used per ton by 50%, reducing water discharge nationally by 480 billion gallons per year?
- ...develop new biobased products worth $5 billion in sales per year?
- ...protect 400,000 existing jobs by making 359 mills in 40 states more sustainable economically, environmentally, and socially?
- ...dramatically improve the life-cycle sustainability of its products?
APPTI's Vision... Yes, it's Possible
APPTI’s initiatives are driven by our vision of the economic, energy, and resource efficiency the industry could achieve. This vision encompasses specific, measurable industry goals, aligned with broader national priorities, such as energy productivity, reduction of greenhouse gases, maintaining healthy, resilient forests, and creating and maintaining rural employment.
In identifying high-priority R&D projects for the industry, our work teams and roadmaps maintain a line of sight to the vision, industry goals, and societal priorities. This line of sight ensures that the research identified in the roadmaps and pursued by our members and partners will directly contribute to the realization of our vision for the industry, and thus provides the purpose, rationale, and measure of success for our efforts.